It’s February once again and that means it’s time to join Epiphany Healthcare in observance of the American Heart Association’s American Heart Month. Did you know that heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States? In fact, each year, one in four deaths are caused by heart disease, that’s more than all types of cancer combined. The good news is that heart disease is often preventable and each and every one of us can make a difference. Here are some ways that you can participate in American Heart Month 2016.
Take Matters Into Your Own Hands
The easiest way to observe American Heart Month is to make heart healthy changes in your own life. There are certain factors that put some people at greater risk for heart disease than others, but many of these are manageable. Here are some suggestions to minimize your own risk for heart disease.
- Make it a priority to eat healthy and get active.
- Watch your weight.
- If you are a smoker, do whatever it takes to quit.
- Control your cholesterol and blood pressure.
- If you drink alcohol, be sure to drink only in moderation.
- Take measures to prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Learn to manage stress.
Spread The Word
One of the most important ways you can participate in American Heart Month is to call others to action. In today’s world it is easier than ever to make yourself heard. Here are some ways you can use your voice to raise awareness in your community:
- Celebrate National Wear Red Day to raise awareness about women and their risk for heart disease. Encourage everyone in your community to wear red on February 5, 2016. For more information about National Wear Red Day visit goredforwomen.org .
- Use social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter throughout the month of February to raise awareness about American Heart Month.
- Host or sponsor a community event to encourage families to be active and learn more about local health resources.
- Join the American Heart Association’s national Be The Cure movement in advocating for healthier communities and healthier lives. (http://yourethecure.org/aha/advocacy/default.aspx)
- Encourage loved ones to make heart healthy lifestyle choices.
At Epiphany Healthcare we want you to join us in observance of American Heart Month 2016, but we want the changes you make this February to be lasting ones. In addition, please use the information above to encourage friends, loved ones, and those in your community to make life long heart healthy decisions.