During the week of May 6-12, Epiphany Healthcare would like to join the American Nurses Association (ANA) and many other organizations across the United States in observance of National Nurses Week 2020. Please join us in recognition of our 4 million registered nurses, as they dedicate themselves year round to the promotion and maintenance of our nation’s health.
Why Observe National Nurses Week?
- Raise public awareness about the tremendous role that nurses play in the maintenance and improvement of American healthcare. We all know that nurses work diligently to provide us with superior care in hospitals, schools, and other healthcare facilities, but many may not see the important contributions nurses make as volunteers, researchers, educators, and advocates for a better healthcare system.
- Nurses make up the largest of all healthcare professions and the profession is growing, in both number and in its capacity for leadership and responsibility as changes to the healthcare system allow nurses the opportunity to utilize more of their education and training than ever before.
- Nurses are the most trusted professionals in America according to a national Gallup poll. The 2018 poll marks the seventeenth consecutive year that nurses have topped the list of trustworthy and ethical professionals.
How to Observe National Nurses Week
- Know important dates associated with National Nurses Week to plan appropriate materials, and recognition.
- National Nurses Week begins on May 6th of every year and culminates on May 12th, coinciding with Florence Nightingale’s birthday.
- May 8th of every year is recognized as National Student Nurses Day.
- International Nurses Day is May 12th
- Plan an event in your community or workplace. Some possibilities include:
- Host a celebration of current or retired nurses in your community.
- Organize/sponsor a community wide contest that focuses on recognition of a nurse or nurses within the community.
- Hold a fundraiser and donate the funds to a local charity in the name of a local nurse, group of nurses, or National Nurse Week.
- Spread the word via press release, blog, advertisement, or any way that can make more people aware of National Nurse Week.
- Show your appreciation by personally thanking nurses for all that they do. No matter who it may be, just let them know that you appreciate them. They will likely appreciate the recognition.